PRESS RELEASE – September 14, 2018
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Activate East Sherman Pilot Project Comes to Life
Pilot project tests proposed master plan improvements on the 1600 block
COEUR D’ALENE — The pilot project “Activate East Sherman” is currently underway on the 1600 block of East Sherman Avenue. The project will test temporary improvements based on the East Sherman corridor master planning effort. This demonstration block will gather feedback from citizens before any financial commitment is made to make significant changes to the corridor.
Citizens will celebrate this area at the Fourth Annual PARK(ing) It On Sherman Block Party on Friday, September 21, 4:00 PM-9:00 PM on the 1600 block of Sherman Avenue. Event highlights include live music, interactive booths (including an East Sherman project booth), local vendors, food trucks, a beer garden, dog scavenger hunt, lawn games and more.
Led by the City of Coeur d’Alene in partnership with CDA 2030 and Community Builders, the East Sherman Leadership Committee selected the pilot project design based on input from stakeholders including, property/business owners and residents in the East Sherman project area, and other invested citizens. Four conceptual options for a future roadway design were created by the Community Builders team based on community feedback from the 2018 Envision East Sherman Strategy Workshop and East Sherman Design Studio.
The pilot project design maintain the current location of the sidewalks, removes the center turn lane (except at intersections), and adds diagonal parking on one side of the street. The pilot project results in five additional parking spaces on this block. The pilot project also includes planters, benches, temporary curb extensions, artistic crosswalks and bike parking. The pilot project will also test some curbside seating in a “parklet” for Moon Time.
Starting September 24, the City of Coeur d’Alene and CDA 2030 will collect project feedback from community members. An online feedback form will be available at eastsherman.org and comment cards will be available at participating businesses on the block. Community responses will provide necessary feedback for finalizing the master plan. The project will be tested through the winter months (minus the outdoor seating) and into next spring and summer to better understand how the design functions and determine if people like or dislike this optional roadway design.
The Activate East Sherman Pilot Project was made possible thanks to the generous contributions, in-kind sponsorships, and volunteers hours provided by Lowe’s Store #18, Clearwater Summit Group, Ginno Construction, Arrow Construction, Tapley Cabinets, Creative Landscape Borders, Gibbs Lumber, Moon Time, members of The Coeur Group, members of the Planning and Design Review Commissions, and community volunteers. Staff from the City of Coeur d’Alene Streets & Engineering Department, Parks & Recreation Department, Planning Department, and Building Department also assisted in bringing the pilot project to life.
For more information, visit eastsherman.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #
Community Planning Director, City of Coeur d’Alene
(208) 769-2274 or email@example.com
Find Newspaper, Radio, Website, And Any Other Media Coverage Of The Project Here. The Most Recent Is On Top…Let Us Know If We’ve Missed Anything!
- September 22, 2018: East Sherman, Activate
- September 15, 2018: E. Sherman Sampler Appears to Please
- March 12, 2018: Eyes on East Sherman
- March 2018: Envision East Sherman Strategy Workshop March 13
- December 17, 2016: Project could boost East Sherman growth
- October 12, 2016: National recognition for streets in Ketchum and Coeur d’Alene
- September 18, 2016: Shining some light on East Sherman
- September 9, 2016: PARK(ing) Day will claim parking spaces in Boise, Coeur d’Alene and Moscow
- June 29, 2016: Making East Sherman Avenue New Again
- October 28, 2015: City of CD’A planning for health – Where health and economic vitality collide
- September 19, 2015: Put in your two cents
- September 10, 2015: Sherman Block Party is Sept. 18-19
- August 2, 2015: Coeur d’Alene planning redevelopment of Sherman Avenue
- June 25, 2015: Residents back East Sherman upgrades
- February 2015: East Sherman revitalization moving forward
- September 2016: 2nd Annual PARK(ing) It On Sherman & Crowdfunding RRFBs
- September 2015: Good Morning Northwest Coverage of 1st Annual PARK(ing) It On Sherman
- September 2015: 1st Annual PARK(ing) It On Sherman